Saturday, November 11, 2006

To Blog or Not to Blog

I thought I should start out with a little information about myself. I am a 25 year old, married, muslim-american woman. I live in the upper midwest with my husband and 3 year old son. I'm originally from the south and although i love it here now, I wasn't always so happy.

I've recently graduated with an associates degree in Histology and possibly finishing my bachelors in Healthcare administration next year. I am currently finishing an internship. I have just enough time to sleep, eat, work, study, and squeeze my prayers in.

I would like to say that I spend my spare time reading religious books, but that would be a HUGE lie. Didn't you know that muslims don't lie. At least I know that I am lacking the level of iman that I want. InshaAllah(god-willing) that is a step in the right direction. We can't change that which we don't acknowledge.

This blog will serve a few purposes:

1. To talk about icky stuff I see at the hospital: 20lb fat rolls, legs, fingers, toes, and who can forget the foot with the flesh-eating bacteria.

2. Complain about how much it sucks to be a wife and mom, but also how rewarding it can be when you realize how important the job is regardless of the recognition. How great it is when that little boy who lived inside of you looks at you with is big brown eyes and says "mommy i love you, now be a horse!" How wonderful it feels when my husband eats up everything on his plate, gets seconds, and licks his hands and the plate.

3. To showcase my cooking skillz...dats right i said skillz...YA HEARD!!! That was a little taste of the southerness that comes out from time to time.

4. To discuss random feelings or rants about anything I though was particularly annoying that day.

I wanted to thank my dear sister Organic Muslimah for encouraging me to blog. She has been a source of strengh and stability for me in the 4 years that we have known eachother. She is my best friend and one of the few people that I completely trust. She is an inspiration to me. She has showed me just how easy it can be to be better if you really want it. If you make one step towards Allah(swt) he will move many more towards you.

8 Comments:

Blogger Organica said...

I am first to request recipes, May I.

Only Allah knows how much I love you and seriously, stop calling me Fatty Ali Abduuuuuuuuuuu

Tayarah ;)

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooooh! I'm so excited you have a blog! Insha'allah I really look forward to it.

Just curious - what were Organic's reasons for wanting you to blog so much?

My initial reasons for wanting to blog were that writing is theraputic, and I love the thought of personally being able to publish something, no matter how trivial, although for me that thrill is still tied with anonymity. I've also discovered now that reading the blog world can be fascinating, and moving, and sometimes in a not-so-great way, addicting.

But bravo. Courage, sis. And write, write, write. Insha'allah.

And may Allah help you with all that you've been given to do at this point in your life! Keep striving. You & your family are in my dua's.

Give that little 3-year-old man a big hug from me.

love,
umm y.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Jules UmmEmJoey said...

Asalaam Alaikum Sister,

Welcome to blogging, I look forward to reading many more of your posts. I also love to cook so I look forward to seeing any recipes you might want to share, my hubby is from the south too, and I am a northerner so I am always on the lookout for good recipes.

Looking forward to reading more, May Allah bless you and your family,

Aeryn

6:44 PM  
Blogger mommamu said...

salaams sis. I made my way over here by way of Organic's blog. I can't wait to see some of those recipes-welcome to blogging! :)

8:23 PM  
Blogger Barb Ess said...

Salaam;

Welcome to the blogosphere. :) I've been blogging for nearly four years now and still really love the community of Muslim bloggers that I've found and all the wonderful friendships that I've make, masha'Allah. Insha'Allah, you will enjoy even greater blessings!

Found you through Organic Muslimah. My name is "b."; my blog is http://underwaterlight.blogspot.com if you'd ever like to stop by. I talk about a little bit of everything but mostly about my two children. ;)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Barb Ess said...

Err...made. I know correct grammar, honest!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Organica said...

LOL. UmmAbdurRahman is the best cook ever. I want recipes. At least those are my reasons, but I am sure she has her own :)

1:03 AM  
Blogger Safa said...

Southern recipes? Oh YUM! Actually, I have this blog on my Fav's......and from time to time, I come check to see if Ummabdurrahman is blogging yet.....what a nice surprise today....!!

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home