Friday, November 17, 2006

Easy-Cheesy Potato Omelet

I was 19 and staying with a friend in Orlando for the summer. I was completely bored and spent most of the time watching TV. It was that summer that I discovered the Food Network. I watched Emeril Lagasse cook a recipe from Camelia Grill in New Orleans. I was a student at Loyola University which was just a few blocks away from the famed restaurant.

After watching Emeril brown freshly cut hashbrown potatoes for this classic omelet I was hooked. This recipe is an adaptation of the original Camelia Grill recipe. I cooked this every weekend for my brother when I lived at home and now every weekend for my son. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

1 large russet potato
3 eggs
2-3 strips of breakfast beef (optional)
1/2 C sharp cheddar cheese, preferably cracker barrel or tillamook
splash of half and half
salt and white pepper
fresh chopped cilantro or parsley
pinch of cayenne
canola oil

Grate peeled potato with the larger holes on a box grater. Evenly spread potatoes inbetween two layers of paper towels. Presh firmly to remove extra starch.

If using, brown strips of breakfast beef. When cooked blot to remove excess fat and crumble into small pieces. Reserve bacon.

Heat 1-2T canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When oil begins to shimmer, spread potatoes evenly in the skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. When potatoes are browned flip the pancake like potatoes to cook on the other side.

Mix eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, cayenne, and herb of choice together very well. You want to beat until eggs are almost foamy. When potatoes are done lower the heat to medium low and pour eggs on top. Sprinkle with cheese. Stir until eggs are no longer runny. I like my eggs on the softer side. Just make sure they aren't overcooked.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jules UmmEmJoey said...

Asalaam Alaikum Sister,

Sounds excellent! I love Food Network. My hubby jokes, when dinner is especially good he says "Food Network still paying off!"

May Allah bless you and your family,

Aeryn

7:07 PM  
Blogger Organica said...

Yumm.looking great..

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried this out for our little fam, and everybody loved it! Thanks to you, I knew what to cook the other morning when hubs was home, a little bit different than the usual!
Jazakallahkhair.

1:16 PM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

umm yehiya,

i'm glad ya'll liked it. we had it this morning for breakfast. if i'm cooking it just for me i like to do it this way:
1. when eggs are poured in pan let them just start to set on the bottom.
2. remove from the heat and fold the edges of the egg mixtur forming something like a pocket. it willlook like a rectangle. this way it will be all gooey and runny in the center. YUMMY!!! this is the way the recipe is originally prepared, but most people i know don't enjoy runny eggs.

12:58 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

that looks awesome! btw, i posted the butter chicken recipe for you on my food blog. Thanks for linking me too!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Sketched Soul said...

As-salaamu'alaykum wa Rahmatu Llahi wa Barakatuhu my dear sister,

Ooooh.. this looks yummy!! and very different from your regular omelet.

Jazak'Allah! Insha'Allah I shall be back to post how it goes.

Ma'salaama
Farhana

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home