Saturday, August 09, 2008

A Request

Saturdays are an all day chat fest with my husband. MashaAllah we are so lucky to have web cams to talk with each other. It makes the separation much easier. He likes to feel as though he is there with us. I take my laptop in Abdu's room and they "play" together. They watch children's Arabic videos. Abdu likes to show his dad how high he can jump or how hard he can kick his new ball. They yell. Oh boy do they yell. It's a load of fun just watching them.

My husband, believe it or not, even enjoys watching me cook. I will bring the laptop into the kitchen and give him a show. He oohs and aaaahs. It makes me feel great when he tells me how much he misses eating that dish and how much he wishes he could have it now.

I will even put on some makeup and nice clothes and my cute little apron. It puts a smile on his face. I know it is hard for him so I try to do what I can to make him happy. I try very hard to ease his pain. I let him know how much I need him and how important he is to me. He is very happy that I can be self sufficient and he doesn't need to worry about us, but it weighs on his manhood. For him, being a good father and provider are what makes him a man. I have to stroke his ego a bit. I gladly do that waiting for the day he comes home.

After inquiring about what I was cooking for dinner he asked me for something. His request was simple. He wanted a few things when he gets home. I had made a special meal before he left and he was requesting his returning meal now. HA! That man is crazy. He isn't even home yet and he's already thinking about food. When he arrives back in the US he will have: shorba fereek, sambousa, stir-fry, basmati rice, and salmon. I sure am one lucky gal if this is truly all he really wants.

17 Comments:

Blogger Safiyyah said...

Salaams Sister:

I am so happy that your family can have this time, Alhamdulillah.

I have a question: what kind of web cam do you have? I had one about 4 years ago. It was so terrible. I had to put a lamp next to the computer and sit so so. It was awful. A friend told me that the web cams are very different now - almost like watching TV.

6:16 PM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

hey safiyyah, thanks for the comment. I have a laptop with built in webcam. If you don't have a built in webcam I would recommend Logitech. They make them for pc's and laptops.

You still need to be in a well lit room to get the best picture but yes the quality is much better now. I think the connection speed may also have a lot to do with it as well.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Yosra said...

Asalamalaykom Sista-Friend,

I just tried ooVoo tonight and it worked like a charm. Much better picture quality than MSN or YAHOO. Download it for free at www.oovoo.com and give it a try :)

11:56 PM  
Blogger Miss A said...

asalaam alaikum,

This sounds like a positive post! Is there a clearer idea of when he may come home?

And Safiyyah... I have a microsoft life cam that has an automatic low light adjustment on it. The webcams out there now are pretty good.

5:45 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

yosra thanks, we already use skype and oovoo. oovooo isn't always o good though.

6:50 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

MissA that would be a big fat no! he's just daydreaming. I'm hoping for february but it probably won't be for another year.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:50 PM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

UA-R come on woman this blog is not private. can't be saying that word up in here. but really really funny though and you're totaly right.

2:28 PM  
Blogger jazain said...

that sounds so nice wallahi. at least you have the time on the webcam...but trust me sister...food will not be the first thing on his mind lol.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said it cuz you said it on mine but now I realize you deleted it and posted an edited version. My bad...LOL.....

12:00 AM  
Blogger Umm Ibrahim said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

Masha'Allah that's a great idea spending the day 'together' on the webcam like that!

12:55 AM  
Blogger Solace said...

How sweet!

4:47 AM  
Blogger Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

We did the whole MSN nights the conection is so poor in Algeria but yes makes a world of difference. It helped us a lot during our 3 yrs apart. May allah reunite you and your family under kheir soon ameen.

10:24 PM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

mashaAllah rainbow that is nice. I'm not sure what kind of connection you had in algeria but my husband has wireless internet. it is a small "cable" that plugs into your usb port. it's from mobilis. I guess that's the only provider in algeria. the connectino is much slower than my highspeed in america but it is faster than dial-up and fairly reliable.

thanks for the douaa

1:42 AM  
Blogger L_Oman said...

Very sweet, umabdurrahman. It's so nice that you guys stay connected through all you've been through.

9:50 PM  
Blogger بنت بيتر said...

assalamu alaykum, ma shaa Allah sis, your story is beautiful. may Allah guide you and make it easy for you and your family.... I like your blog ma shaa Allah, and looking forward to more!

wa salam alaykum, umm Travis

11:51 AM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

Salaams

That is so cute! Sounds yummy.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home