Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Getting ready for Kindergarten

My little man is growing up. He makes his bed and picks up toys in his room. He enjoys pouring his own drink and getting dressed. Now, he's picking out school supplies for kindergarten.

This morning we visited his school to finish some last minute paperwork. The school's principal was there and gave Abdu a little pop quiz. He counted from 1-10 and backwards from 10-1 and said his ABC's. MashaAllah, Abdu had a huge smile on his face when the principal told him how good he did. Abdu wanted to get out a pencil and start writing, but we had things to do. After we finished, we took a walk around the school building. When we walked passed the kindergarten classroom, I reminded him that he has to listen to the teacher and raises his hand when he wants to ask a question. He shouldn't hit or kiss people at school. Kisses are for mama and baba only. When we reached the bathroom, I showed him where the boy's room was. I took extra time to explain to him that he goes in the "man's room" and not the ladies. For his whole life I've taken him into the ladies room with me so it's a bit hard getting him to understand that he doesnt go in there at school. We took a look in the library and he told me that he is going to read all of those books. Overall, I'm satisfied with the school so far. We'll see how it goes in two weeks when he starts.

Just make duaa for my little man to transition well into the school environment. May Allah protect him. ameen.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaam,
Is he attending public school or private school, or an Islamic school? What are your thoughts on this? I'm struggling with what to do for schooling with my children.
I'd like to hear your insights.
JazakumAllahuKhairan
Salaam :)

7:52 PM  
Blogger Yosra said...

Asalamalaykom,

May Abdu keep growing as a righteous young man in Islam and may his example help bring others to Islam.

Also..

May Allah reward you for all that counting, all that reminding, and all those trips with him to the bathroom.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Solace said...

They grow up so fast.

Sometimes I think big changes like going to school is more difficult for the mommies than for the children. They adapt so quickly.

4:47 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

yosra, thank you for that :) it means a lot. really.

solace, thanks for stopping by sis, how have you been?

anonymous, he is going to a public school. He was on the waiting list for our local islamic school and I even paid the deposit. This is the 3rd year they have called me about having a place for him. It just hasn't worked out for us thought. THe school is on the opposite side of the city. With gas prices, my crazy work schedule, and my husband being gone we thought that putting him in a public school was our best option for now.

Kids will learn bad stuff whether at an islamic school or a public school. He will have to learn to the non-muslim way of life sooner or later anyway. He already makes a distinction between what we can do and what my family can do because we are muslim and they are not. I will be enrolling him in a weekend islamic school to keep him tied to the muslim community, but hopefully when my husband returns we will pursue other options.

Thanks for stopping by.

10:39 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

***I meant that he will have to learn to deal with the non-muslim way of life sooner or later.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Anisah said...

Aww, they're so cute when they are that age. My son Ibrahim is going into kindergarten too. He loooved preschool last year.

Hugs!

Anisah

2:46 PM  
Blogger Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

Aslamu alakum
aww its a special moment my first child first school day was special and its a big moment for mum too , may allah make it easy for you ameen and reunite you all soon ameen.

7:43 AM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

how fun and how cute. :-) I hope he enjoys it!

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home