Sunday, August 31, 2008

Evacuations...again

I was planning a thoughtful post in remembrance of Hurricane Katrina, but instead I'm writing about the terror that will be Hurricane Gustav. I'm almost in shock, but I remembered this is the gulf coast we're talking about. I lived through Hurricane Andrew and numerous other hurricanes and tropical stroms. Until Katrina, I didn't pay much attention to hurricanes. My family NEVER evacuated. We boarded up the windows and made sure we had plenty of supplies. During Andrew, I remember sleeping on the floor of my parents' bedroom thinking that this would be the night I died. The thing that I remember most from the other storms was the heat when the power went out. You can only be so comfortable in 90+ degree weather with stifling heat. I always sat in my house sweating while my little brother had his tv, games, and a fan hooked up to a generator. The little brat. He has downs syndrom and my parents were concerned most about keeping him calm and comfortable. Today, in order to keep him calm and comfortable they evacuate. They began evacuating the year before Katrina because he just became too scared and since Katrina they do not mess around. They left Saturday afternoon and headed east to Alabama. My mom, dad, brother and 13 year old neice settled their motorhome at a campground in AL only to leave 12 hours later because storm surges were a threat there too. They have made their way into the northern part of Alabama and will, hopefully, be able to stay there.

My sister and her husband have refused to evacuate. They live in the lower part of our parish(aka county to most americans) nearer to the Gulf of Mexico and on LOW LOW ground. Her husband went to get a boat. How stupid is that? Seriously, if you think you may need a boat then you need to leave. My 76 year old grandmother has also refused to leave. She would not go with anyone in the family, but they were finally able to convince her to stay at my parents house. My parents live outside a flood zone on high ground next to the river. If she won't leave New Orleans we at least feel better that she is there. Not confident that she is safe...just better. One of my uncles has decided to stay behind with her. I hope that they are safe.

I pray for my family's safety and for their property to be spared. I also pray for all those who are in the path of this killer storm.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

Subhan Allah - sounds terrifying. I always found a gale in the UK scary enough, I can't imagine a hurricane.

May Allah protect the people from harm.

9:20 PM  
Blogger L_Oman said...

Praying for your family.

When we had the typhoon come through here a year ago, it was frightening to say the least.

10:52 PM  
Blogger jazain said...

ohhh i had no idea you are from LA. dear sis how worried i am again. ive been eyeing the weather constantly in fear of what theyre saying. how can new orleans and the entire gulf coast take another blow.
i wanted to open our home to any muslims that may be needing refuge but my husband looked at me like i said i wanted to become a stripper or something. inshallah it will weaken even a bit. and at least this time ppl are taking it more seriously.

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Insha'Allah they will be ok. My mother is on the north shore and is a nurse so she has to stay at teh hospital but since Katrins they stopped letting family members stay. So my family is scattered all about. My husband is in his truck in Ms...still in the path but hopefully far enough inland that it will not be bad. I will make Dua for your family and Insha'Allah Gutav we be like all of the other hurricanes we decided not to evacuate for.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

Aslamu alakum sister Ramandan kareem

I don't like strong winds after living by the sea for 3 yrs in algeria and the 'normal winds' that came of the sea front were terrifying during winder , I can't inmagne the fear and grief for these people . Allah Al must'aan certainly a sign of the last day.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Solace In Islam said...

I find natural disasters and threats terrifying simply because they are limitless.

Insha'Allah your family will be ok.

4:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalaamu alaikum,

No posts from you for a few days... just wanted to say Ramadan Kareem to you and hope all is going well. Hugs, xxx

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salaam Alaikum,

I hope all is well with you and your family, Insha Allah.

Ramadan Kareem

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home