Saturday, September 13, 2008

As promised



This Ramadhan, like last year, has been a hectic one. My little one started kindergarten on the first day of Ramadhan. It's hard to believe that two weeks has passed by already. Two weeks with nothing really special happening. Abdu and I are just existing in our own way. We are getting used to his school routine, and I am attempting to fit in some free time for worship. At the moment, my goal is to read Qur'an a few times a week, pray the sunnah prayers, and make it to tarawih prayers on Saturday nights. I would also like to go over the small chapters of the Qur'an that I have forgotten. I find that they come back easily mashaAllah, but I have to work at it.
I haven't watched television in almost 2 months. It wasn't a choice but something that happened by chance. It broke in July and I haven't bothered to fix it. I didn't have much time to watch anyway, but now I have that little bit of extra time to do other things. MashaAllah it has been an unexpected blessing.
My son and I have been doing our best to have a nice iftar every day. I'm cooking some of his favorites and some new dishes too. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but this Algerian kid of mine sure does. I watch his sugars very closely because he is an active boy. We enjoyed making
this one together.
White Chocolate Fruit Tart adapted from Allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup of butter, softened( 1 1/2 sticks unsalted)
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
FILLING
10(ounces) white chocolate chips, melted and cooled(can use vanilla chips as well)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1(8oz) package philadelphia cream cheese, softened(in ME they come in 250gm containers)
fresh strawberries
1 kiwi
1 peach, thinly sliced
raspberries
GLAZE
strawberry jam
DIRECTIONS
In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour; mix well. Press into an ungreased 11-in. tart pan with removable bottom or 12-in. pizza pan with sides. Bake at 300 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

For filling, in a small mixing bowl, beat melted chips and cream. Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Spread over crust. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice; set juice aside. Arrange the pineapple, strawberries, oranges and kiwi over filling.
For glaze, pulse strawberry jam in a food processor to break up any fruit chunks. When jam is smooth cook in a small nonreactive saucepan over medium low heat. The jam will become thinner and almost translucent. Remove from heat and using a pastry cover fruit with "glaze." The glaze will help to keep the color of the fruit. Refrigerate for 1 houre before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

I thought this dessert was quite good. The crust tastes like one of those walker shortbread cookies, but the filling is too rich for my taste. I had two small pieces in about 4 days and took the rest for my co-workers.

NOTE: I used an 11 inch tart pan with removable bottom. It slides out of the pan easily and has a beautiful crust. In my pictures, the tart is sitting on the removable bottom of the pan. I didn't want you thinking it was sitting on the counter.

BON APPETIT!

14 Comments:

Blogger Yosra said...

Asalamalaykom,

Glad to hear that you are settling into a routine. The funny thing with Ramadan, as you know, is that as soon as we have everything figured out IT'S OVER!

Subhanallah.

Your tart looks delicious and I actually did copy the recipe. Will I make it? Inshahallah. Might have to wait until I have my own kitchen again. I'm just wondering if you two made the dessert while on webcam with Daddy.

Hope he's doing well, inshahallah.

4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalaamu alaikum

Looks amazing sis masha'Alah. You really made the pie crust yourself?? Looks so perfect masha'Allah!

Umm Ibrahim

6:50 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:07 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

thanks umm ibrahim. surprisingly, i made it all by myself. I'm not much of a sweets person. I don't eat too many and therefore don't make too many either. It was my first attempt at a fruite tart and i was quite pleased with it. You need to give it a try.

Ya know even my husband thought I bought it.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

Aslamu alakum sister
well , looks like you have a talent dear its lovely mashaAllah, i can guess it tasted just as good? Well done! Good cake maker is good for an algerian dh loool


i am glad you are ajusting and settling down with your some, may allah reunite you all as a family ameen.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Bosnian hijab girl said...

visit me!And i am the mother of one too........

3:28 PM  
Blogger L_Oman said...

Oh yummo! I am so heading to the grocery store and hoping to find all the ingredients. I am sure I'll have to buy a couple of white chocolate candy bars to substitute the chips.

Thanks for this one - it's beautiful!!!!!!!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks soo delicious...I have to try this.

You did a great job. :)

11:08 AM  
Blogger Solace In Islam said...

That looks almost too pretty to eat!

Thanks for sharing!

3:42 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Wow this looks fabulous and bet it tastes just as nice! My hubby would love me to make that, he loves that dessert.
I saw you on Rainbow's blog, mind if i add you?

Sonya Xx

9:24 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

As usual i took most of the ingrediants from a recipe and mixed and matched and made it my own lol. I made this pie at the weekend and it was a huge hit with dh and a friend of mine who came over for dinner last night. I did cheat and buy the pastry as it's cheap here and tastes yummy :)
Thanks for the recipe, a real yum factor! lol

7:26 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. thanks for stopping by again.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Mumina said...

Asalaam alaikum, OMG! First off, I love fruit tarts. This recipe looks AMAZING, thank you thank you for posting and I cannot wait to make it with my girls inshaAllah!!!!!!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful tart!!!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home