Friday, December 05, 2008

Since we all like to eat...

This is a really yummy dish that is very popular throughout Algeria. I'm sure everyone has their own version. This is mine. I apologize about the quality of the picture. The lighting is very bad in my kitchen.

TAJIN ZITOUN

Chicken legs or thighs, skin removed
1 onion diced
cinnamon
thyme, dried
1 jar manzanilla green olives, drained
carrots, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
butter
light and dark olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Clean and pat dry chicken. Cook chicken and onions with cinnamon and thyme in light olive oil on a medium high heat until pink color is gone and onions are tender. About 5-7 minutes. Stir often and be careful not to burn chicken or onions. Season with salt and pepper and add enough water to just cover chicken. Add a few tablesppons of butter. Brint to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.

Remove chicken from pot and add sliced carrots. Bring back to a boil and cook for about 3-5 minutes to soften carrots. You want them to still have some bite. Do not overcook because they will further cook in the oven.

Lightly cover the bottom of an oven=proof baking dish with good quality dark extra virgin olive oil. Arrange chicken in the dish adding the drained olives. Pour carrots and sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with more thym, rubbing it between your fingers to break it down, and add more salt and pepper if needed.

Bake uncovered in a preheated oven until chicken is lightly browned on top.

Delicious served with warm pita bread and grilled vegetable salad. If you're really in the cooking mood, try serving with homemade french fries tossed with finely chopped parsley and onions.

Bon Appetit!

17 Comments:

Blogger Solace In Islam said...

This dish looks yummie and seems quite healthy as well!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Organica said...

Looks Yumm.

Do you add much salt since the olives might be a little salty?

1:32 PM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

solace thanks...healthy if you omit the butter but then it wont taste as good :)

organica i drained and rinsed the olives. I think the ones you get at the grocery store in a jar aren't as salty as ones you might get at an ethic store. I'm a taste as I go kinda girl. I added what I thought was needed. For some people the olives might be enough, but for me...it needed more.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

I don't really add any butter and it still tastes fab. I also add some peeled and cubed potatoes to mine and a sprinkle of ginger. Not the fresh stuff, just the stuff in a jar :)
Mmmm, i might have to make this one again soon, its easy and easy is my favourite during pregnancy lol.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as salamu alaykum

I love it too! Nice blog mash'Allah!

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this last night and really really loved it sister. Thank you, I can learn much from you about being a good wife. Love, Always, Yasmin

10:56 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

Yasmin, I hate to be a pessimist but that sure does sound like a sarcastic comment. If it was not, then I apologize. This recipe has nothing to do with being a good wife because I've actually never cooked it for my husband. I had a dear friend over during ramadhan and we, my son too, ate this.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Another friend gave me the basic recipe. It really is a good one.

~UAR

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I really meant it to be heartfelt but I can understand if you thought that. I usually have a big chip on my shoulder on ORAU's blog. I really like your blog and your recipes quite a lot actually. The pictures of you headed to Algeria on your trip were really nice UAR. I mean it sincerely. I think there is a lot I can learn from you sister. I mean it. Yasmin

2:10 PM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

No problem Yasmin. Thank you.

11:15 PM  
Blogger iMuslimah said...

Yummy! I love manzilla olives in food, especially spanish rice. Im going to make this over the weeken for my hubcap. He is from Tunis- similar food to algeria, and he has been hankering for Tajin. This will be a nice surprise!

How are you doing? How is your precious little guy? How is work? I dont know how you work overnight. Im just about keeping one eye open working 4-12 and being up with cute iBaby all day. It just saps me.

Inshallah all is going well on your end, nice to see a post.

I will be back for more inshaallah!

Assalamu alaykum,

iMuslimah

11:16 PM  
Blogger Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

Aslamu alakum sis
i made thi very dish last nigh subhanAllah looks like you had guest as you made a lot?

Hope you and the kid are well and he is settled inti KG.

11:59 PM  
Blogger The Gori Wife said...

I don't suppose you have any recipes for Algerian desserts? An old friend on mine used to make me these desserts with finely chopped nuts and lots of orange blossom water, and I've never been able to find any recipe...

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Essalam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

This is one of my favorite recipes! Masha'allah sis it looks lovely!

5:48 PM  
Blogger Chef Jeena said...

Lovely chicken recipe it looks very tasty. :-)

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats looks great ! I will try that for tea next week.

5:02 AM  
Blogger Noor said...

yummy yummy mashAllah looks so good.

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delish!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home