Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Shrimp Scampi and Rice

All types of seafood were abundant and regularly on our table growing up. My mom wasn't much of a cook but she often cooked sauteed shrimp and rice for us. Her version was simple and contained instant rice. Although I have fond memories of my mother's dish, my version is much better.

Shrimp Scampi and Rice

1/2 lb fresh gulf shrimp, shells removed and deveined
1 onion, diced
small pinch saffron threads, about 1/8-1/4 tsp
1 C basmati rice
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed into a paste with a small amount of salt
1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 C clam juice
1 1/2 C prepared chicken stock

Cut cleaned shrimp into small pieces. If using large shrimp, they should be cut into 2-3 pieces.

In a large saucepan, melt butter and olive oil over a medium heat. Saute onions with saffron, parsley flakes and a small amount of salt until translucent. Add crushed garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer.

Add basmati rice and stir to coat with butter. Add desired amount of salt and pepper. Pour clam juice and chiken stock into the saucepan. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Add shrimp pieces and stir. Cover and lower heat to lowest setting.

After 20 minutes, remove from heat and allow to sit covered for 10 more minutes. Fluff rice with a fork. Serve with fresh steamed broccoli.

This was delicious. Abdu enjoyed it so much that he had seconds.

*picture coming tomorrow. I was so hungry that we ate without taking a photo. I"ll try to snap a pic when we're eating leftovers.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rainbow In The Grey Sky said...

Aslamu alakum hun
nice to see you posting again.picture i wana see it, sadly i am Algeric to these types of fruits de la mer......... nice to have memories to share with the kids.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Yasemin said...

This sounds wonderful UmmAbdurRahman. Keep the recipes coming because the last one was great. The only concern I have is about finding cheap Saffron threads. I might try the halal market for that I think. Thanks!

8:13 AM  
Blogger UmmAbdurRahman said...

I get my saffron from the middle eastern store as well. I purchased 5gms last time which is quite a bit. Get the smallest amount possible bc you wont need too many. It is much cheaper than in the grocery store. Usually they keep it behind the counter bc they are so spendy. Although the saffron gives a nice flavor, you can try some turmeric to give it some color if you can't get the saffron.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Yasemin said...

Thanks for the tip UmmAbdurRahman. Many a time I have chickened out from making a certain recipe if Saffron is involved.

I'm going to get the shrimp for this recipe tomorrow!

2:25 PM  
Blogger American Muslima Writer said...

Assalamu Alikum dear Sister in Islam!
You’ve been added to ALL MUSLIMAH database of Muslimah Sister’s blogs!
http://allmuslimah.blogspot.com/
Please come and choose what category you’d like your blog name to appear under.
If the category isn’t there, suggest one!
If you’ve been placed in the wrong category by mistake please let me know immediately  Be sure to add the “I support ALL MUSLIMAH blogs” icon to your blog so others can find you. Thank you for having a blog!
Category MUSLIMAH Mothers

Also: Masha'Allah I loooove shrimp!!!!!!!!!!!!

5:31 AM  
Blogger Ines said...

i love all kinds of seafoods, is the spanish in me... Do not forget the pic sis, i'm a visual learner :lol:
Thanks for sharing.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Umm Omar said...

Sounds yummy. I'll give it a try, especially since my kids love shrimp.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home